Friday, September 17, 2010

So, how did it work out?

The cornbread turned out a little too dense in the middle. I am going to make another type tonight, possibly increasing the ratio of cornmeal (or polenta) to whole wheat flour. I may use whole wheat flour this time instead of white whole wheat, and do .5 cup whole wheat flour with 1.5 cup cornmeal/polenta mix and keep most other factors the same.

My favorite part of the cornbread had to be making it in the cast-iron skillet. It was beautiful and had a truer feel to it than my family's "tradition" of making cornbread from a box of Jiffy mix in an 8 inch round pan.

I will also preheat the cast iron more this time around, as I don't believe it got enough time in the oven beforehand when I baked it the first time. The crust didn't begin to form immediately for me, at least not visibly, and that's a characteristic that I was looking forward to experiencing.

All in all, the cornbread turned out just fine. A little dense/moist in the middle, more than I would have liked, but still delicious and sweet.

Also notable, in my version of the recipe, I added a tbsp. or so of agave nectar to give it some more sweetness and omitted the peppers.

I'll give it another go this evening and take some photographs to share.
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dejar un mensaje!