Monday, April 19, 2010

Strawberry Sauce

Oh, the wonder of discarded strawberries.

I happened to find about 5 of these discarded 2 pound boxes of strawberries as I was digging through some refuse, and I only had enough room in my bag to take home 1 of them... so I did take what I could, and ended up making a delicious strawberry sauce to accompany a rather non-spongey sponge cake.

Nonetheless, it was delicious.
Strawberry sauce can be made almost without any added sugar (it might be possible to not add any at all, really), but I made it with some sugar.

It's a great way to use any not-so-great strawberries or those you may have found in the trash and want to cook before eating. I'm normally not this way, but last night I ended up also dropping them on the ground and they spilled everywhere on the way home and I decided to take the germophobic route after my recent bout of food poisoning (not dumpster-induced, but some cross contamination with raw meat).

Strawberry sauce.
I will use a photo from an online source because I didn't get a chance to photograph my own strawberry sauce.


This one, borrowed from http://cheese8chocolate.wordpress.com/, looks very similar to mine. It could also be blended to make a more smooth consistency for appearance or textural purposes.

So, here's the most basic strawberry sauce recipe.

Ingredients:
4 C fresh strawberries, stems removed, halved or quartered
3 tbsp. unbleached sugar, brown sugar, agave nectar (I would not suggest maple syrup)
A splash of lemon juice
Pinch of salt


1. Chop strawberries
2. Combine all ingredients (except salt) in sauce pan.
3. Heat covered until strawberries have released liquid, stirring ofte
4. Add pinch of salt.
5. Heat until desired thickness and liquidity is reached.

This strawberry sauce was super-easy and delicious and vegan.
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dejar un mensaje!