Thursday, April 15, 2010

Potluck #4, Plus a Week of Vegan! *New Photo Update*




The fourth potluck happened on April 14th, 2010 at a park nearby.
I moved it to the park because I didn't want space to be an issue, and it lifted some pressure from me about directions, cleaning, etc. because the park is pretty well-known and central.

The picnic-atmosphere was great. I didn't have a set place to put all the food though (because I didn't want it to be obvious that it was organized, having a table and such. In our city, it is illegal to have gatherings of more than 10 people without a permit).

We had 15 total attendees, which was a nice turnout. I believe I might make them biweekly, with the weeks in-between being a really small gathering for me a couple of friends in which I can cook a full meal and invite them to come enjoy it with me.

The food was great!
One guest brought the most perfect pumpkin bread. I hope she liked it enough to make it again sometime (vegan and all!) for her family. (photo below)
Some vegan pesto & "cheezy" pasta (photo below) from Miss Heather, my German class ovo-lacto bud.
I simply brought banana bread, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and hummus.
Another person brought some delicious, sliced pineapple.

Cucumber salad was also delicious, with a vinegar and oil dressing... simple evening last night. Most things weren't too overdone, and there was a lot of raw food (which was very nice!).





pumpkin bread.

pesto pasta with "cheeze"


Carolyn and I enjoying our potluck experience.



Bobby, empty-plated and looking hungrily about.

*UPDATE*
New photos from my camera. It was dead, so I borrowed my friend's iPhone. Now I have the other two photos of Erik's quesadillas (sans queso) and Carolyn's cornbread.


Carolyn's delicious cornbread.


I will post Erik's quesadilla recipe as well, which he got from Compassion Over Killing's website.




*This recipe can be found on COK's website (linked above) under "Quick Quesadillas."

* 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
* 1/2 cup water-packed roasted red pepper
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon tahini
* 1 garlic clove, peeled
* 1/4 teaspoon cumin
* 8 corn tortillas
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 1/2 to 1 cup salsa

Drain the beans and place in a food processor or blender with the next five ingredients. Process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.

Spread a tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the garbanzo mixture and place in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with chopped onions and salsa.

Top with a second tortilla and cook until the bottom tortilla is warm and soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the second side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and cut in half. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.



***************************************************



So, overall, the park was a great idea for a place to have the potluck!


On to the vegan week...
For Earth Day, I have received several emails encouraging me (but I already am) to go vegan for a week for Earth Day.
Because of this, I have decided to do my own little mini-campaign and encourage people around me to do so for the environment.
There's so much that can be done for the environment just through change in diet, and they aren't difficult and they don't taste bad.
My hope is that people will do the vegan/vegetarian week and realize that it's not hard to do something tremendous for the environment (and of equal importance, for animals).
The focus is of course, on the environment because it is for earth day. Otherwise I focus on animal issues.

So far I have gotten at least ten people that have agreed to do it. I've created some pledge cards that have a list of "nonvegan" items for people to avoid and links to vegan recipe sites, PETA's (gag) "Accidentally Vegan" food list, and some suggestions for yummy vegan foods during the week. They're printed in a vertical business card format, and I'm having a big vegan potluck for all the pledges to attend on Earth Day Saturday, AKA the 24th.

So, if you're reading this and you are not vegan, you should try it from the 22nd of April until the 29th!

Good luck and happy eating!
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dejar un mensaje!