Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pumpkin Scone Recipe

I happened to have a can of organic pumpkin pie mix in the house, so I decided to make some pumpkin scones this morning. I wanted to make vegan "Easter eggs" from Just the Food, but I didn't have the time OR the ingredients, as I must run to work in a couple of hours on "my hog" (the affectionate nickname my friends I use for our bicycles).



I made these scones as an adaptation of this recipe. Instead of just pureed pumpkin, I used organic pumpkin pie mix. I believe either one would work.

The ginger was a great addition, and all the omnivores ate them up on my last day at work.

By the way, making scones is really fun. It's like cutting apart a giant, two inch thick pizza. It's fun. I will probably do it again soon.
For convenience, I will post the modified About.com recipe here.

* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3 1/2 cups flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 3 tsp ginger powder
* 1/2 cup vegan margarine
* 2 cups pureed pumpkin pie mix

Preparation:
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and ginger). Cut in vegan margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and combine well.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into a large circle, a few inches thick.

Cut into 12 or so triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dejar un mensaje!